Success comes with adequate preparation and as a start do take note of the following.
1. Know the Mathematics Syllabus
- This is the 4-year syllabus leading the "O" level exam: Elementary Mathematics 4016 (SEAB site)
- We will not be covering all the topics listed in the syllabus in Sec 1.
- The curriculum adopts a spiral approach where selected topics will be revisited and going into depths as we move from year to year.
- The abridged-scheme of work will be made available by end-January.
2. Right Resources
- SST Maths Notes - You will be receiving the set of materials for Term 1 on 7 Jan (Mon)
- Calculator - It will be verified before the first level test and an "approved SST" sticker will be issued
- SST Foolscap paper and graph papers (for assignments)
- ICT Resources
- Class Maths Blog: Most of the online learning activities will be carried out here
- ACE Learning: Online platform where the account will be issued to you by end of January
- Software: Grapher, Geogebra, Numbers, PhotoBooth, QuickTime Player
3. Assessment for 2013
- Term 1 Level Test 1 + Authentic Assessment (10% + 10%)
- Term 2 Common Test 1 (20%)
- Term 3 Level Test 2 + Authentic Assessment (10% + 10%)
- Term 4 End of Year Summative Assessment (40%)
4. Diagnostic Test will be conducted as Follows:
- Beginning of new topic - to assess prerequisite knowledge and linkages to new knowledge
- End of topic - to assess level of understanding and competency
5. Daily learning and monitoring platforms
- Class work - in the form of activities and practice questions
- Assignment - to be done on printed handouts or SST foolscap papers
- All classwork to be completed within designated time
6. Character is Destiny
Your destiny should begin with your daily routines
A. Be Present
B. Listen without Prejudice and One conversation at a time
C. Be Socially Aware (we are after all living in a gregarious community)
D. Manage your impulses
E. Know that the choice that you have chosen has its own consequences